Learn Body Mapping with Ruth:
1. Take private lessons to learn how you can improve your playing with Body Mapping.
2. Sign up for the workshop What Every Musician Needs to Know About the Body.
3. Arrange for Ruth to give a customized workshop or master class for your organization or institution.
Ruth teaches the course “What Every Musician Needs to Know About the Body”, customized workshops for all instruments and private body mapping lessons. Her workshops and private lessons speak directly to musicians who are having physical problems, as well as those who are looking for ways to enhance their performance. As a Licensed Andover Educator, and influenced by her ongoing studies of the Alexander Technique, Pilates, and Feldenkrais, Ruth believes in a holistic approach that includes practical anatomy, movement education, self-awareness, mindful practicing, and support and care from health care professionals.
Because of her first hand experience with her own playing related injury and road to recovery, she is passionate about helping others find their own path to playing and singing, not only without pain and injuries, but also in a way that releases their expressive musical potential.
Body Mapping is a kind of movement education that promotes ease and comfort to improve performance and reduce tension, pain, and injury. Because many musicians have misconceptions about how the body is designed to move, movement can become limited, awkward, and distorted, resulting in tension, pain and injury. All of this can be alleviated when one knows how the body is actually designed to move. Body Mapping gives clear, concise, and accurate information that educates and empowers the musician to move well for optimal performance.
For more information check out two articles Ruth wrote that appeared in The Overture, the Local 47 newsletter. Body Mapping:Reduce Injury and Improve Performance by Changing Your Mind’s Perception and Body Mapping:How to Improve the Quality of your Movement in Your Playing and Singing . And www.bodymap.org
Please contact Ruth to arrange a lesson or a workshop. Private lessons are available in La Canada and Pasadena. Workshops are local, regional and global. Please see Classes and Performances for current listing.
Download Brochure Ruth Kasckow Body Mapping
“So, my experience of body mapping: awareness of my anatomy and how I can improve the interface with my instrument. Understanding body mechanics and breathing really aided my playing and my teaching. The understanding of joints and breathing were particularly beneficial.” Louise Brown, violist and teacher
“When I attended a recent workshop that Ruth presented, I was impressed with her clear and succinct manner of communicating the important points of Body Mapping as it relates to flute playing. She was very organized and worked with the students in a kind and informative way.” Susan Greenberg, flutist
“It was a lot of fun and very interesting. The concept of Body Mapping was not something I was very familiar with but after that short session, I found myself really thinking more about how our mental image of body structure interacts with tension when we perform or practice. I felt as an introduction to the Body Mapping approach, it was a great session.” Mitch Cyman, bassoonist
Past Body Mapping Workshops
- Pasadena City College, What Every Musician Needs to Know About the Body, Pasadena, CA 2008
- Greater Los Angeles Flute Guild, Body Mapping for Flutists, Orange County, CA 2009, 2010
- Inland Empire Valley Flute Society, Body Mapping for Flutists, Redlands, CA 2010
- Jim Walker’s Beyond the Master Class V, Body Mapping for Flutists, Colburn School, Los Angeles, CA 2012
- Yung Mee Rhee Music Academy, Body Mapping for Pianists, La Crescenta, CA 2012
- Los Angeles Bass Club, Introduction to Body Mapping, Local 47, Hollywood, CA 2013
- Pasadena Suzuki Music Program, What Every Musician Needs to Know About the Body, Pasadena, CA 2013
- Pepperdine University, Introduction to Body Mapping, Malibu, CA 2013
- Performing Art Medicine Association (PAMA), Introduction to Body Mapping, Snowmass, CO 2013
- National Flute Association (NFA), Body Mapping for Flutists, New Orleans, LA 2013
- Yung mee Rhee Music Academy, What Every Flutist Needs to Know About the Body, La Crescenta, CA 2013
- San Diego Flute Guild, Body Mapping for Flutists, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 2014
- PAMA, Occupational Therapy and Body Mapping Collaboration for Music Wellness, Snowmass, CO 2014
- PAMA/Chapman University, Occupational Therapy/Body Mapping Collaboration for Music Wellness, Orange, CA 2014
- PAMA/Chapman University, Introduction to Body Mapping, Chapman University, Orange, CA 2014
- Cal State Northridge, Mike Curb School of Music, Introduction to Body Mapping and Master Class, Northridge, CA 2015
- Music Teachers Association of California (MTAC) Convention, Improve Your Students’ Playing and Avoid Injury, Los Angeles, CA 2016
- Andover Educators Biennial Conference, Collaboration for Music Wellness-Encouraging Conversation, Columbus, GA 2017
- Azusa Pacific University, Introduction to Body Mapping, Azusa, CA 2017
- Loyola Marymount University, Body Mapping in Alexander Technique Class, Westminster, CA 2017
PAMA Snowmass Conference workshops 2013 and 2014 partially funded by Andover Educator Grant.